Friday, August 1, 2008

Mid-day Update

Ryan Montbleau really blew me away with his set. I really couldn't see the stage from where I was sitting but I still listened intently.

Toward the end of his set he brought up the horn section from Deep Banana Blackout. The song they joined him on started with Montbleau's conversational serenade, he sings to the crowd, "We're all at home here so knock on my door." A cappella he continues, "There's someone knocking on my door, would you please get it...? The song seems to be about coming together in the human race to raise each other up. After a few minutes of the bare introduction, the notes of a doorbell are played, starting the inclusion of the instruments. DBB horns brought the song to a new level with their pure ascending and descending lines in the background.

I wish I could see a setlist for the artists that would make it easier for me to distinguish one song from the other and be able to talk about that song specifically.

As we wait for Porter Baptiste Stoltz, Lou Genauer from Assembly of Dust serenades the crowd, just him and his guitar. I've just returned from the solar stage, where there seems to be more people lounging in the shaded lawn area than a couple of hours earlier. I heard a bit of "The Bridge". Notable is their song, 'Drop the Beat" that features some really awesome beatboxing from a band member named Kenny. The song transitions into a retro -dance groove with a saxophone running throughout - really cool.

Porter Baptiste Stoltz a group of musicians whose roots lay in New Orleans start of their eclectic set list with a song, "I get high, every time I think about you" has a rockin' dominant bass line. "You Gotta Believe" is a soulful ballad with meaningful lyrics. "All we want you to do, is get funky tonight" has some New Orleans flavor to it with its syncopated bass line and call and response like phrasing.

No comments: