Sunday, August 3, 2008

Umphrey's

This is now my third time seing Umphreys McGee, so it will be tough to really talk about them and their songs while sounding like I know what I'm talking about. Like most jambands, unless you're a true fan it can be tough to tell if they played 3, 7 or 15 songs in a set. Umphreys is certainly a jam band, but not a typical one, their sound is a bit harder/edgier with long guitar riffs infused with deep drum and bass lines. Their jams are soothing than, say, the Dead or Phish, but more like Zappa, which I was exposed to the first time Friday night with Zappa plays Zappa. With the sun beating down as hard as it has been all weekend, Umphreys McGee took the stage and have jammed their butts off. We are about an hour into their set and I'm not sure if they've stopped once. While some jambands loose me after too long of a jam, Umphreys seems to find a way to get me back in right when my mind is about to say "BORING!". Most importantly, the crowd is dancing and not slowing down despite a long weekend of great music.










1 comment:

Angela said...

Boring and Umphrey's should never be in the same paragraph. This was sort of a Typical Umphrey's short festie set, the real Umphrey's you missed last week when they played in NYC>PHILLY>BOSTON. This set was more of an introduction to UMPHS, if you thought you might like what you heard you should probably go check them out when they are the main band!